Following the Leader (Following the Lord)


Each time my children and I go to a store, I can’t help but get the following song from Peter Pan stuck in my head:

Following the leader, the leader, the leader
We're following the leader wherever he may go

If you are unfamiliar with this song, you can click here to watch it.

Why do I have this song on constant replay in my head while we’re shopping? Because my children love to holler out, “I’M THE LEADER!”
“NO, I AM!”
“IT’S MY TURN!”
“NO, IT’S MINE AND I KNOW THE WAY!”

Being the “leader” involves walking ahead of the rest of us “lowly” people to show us the way. It doesn’t matter which of the two children is actually the “leader”, but without fail I end up saying, “Hey, Leader! Yes, I’m talking to you. You are going the wrong direction. Turn the other way!” They turn, and not a moment later I’m saying again, “Hey, Leader! Go the other way.” They shift course yet again. This pattern continues until we are in the parking lot, where they know they need to hold my hand firmly until I safely guide them to the car.
There are times when I too, like to pretend like I’m the leader. I have to admit something…there have been many times when I’ve thought, “If I could just run the world, everything would be perfect!” There!! I said it out loud! Have you ever had these same types of thoughts? Now, those are my thoughts on global affairs, but let’s bring it closer to home. There are many times I try to tell the Lord exactly how my life should be run.
What was it He said that one time? Something about “Thy will be done”?? But, but, BUT don’t You understand?!?! I have a simply marvelous idea, if you’ll let me do it! Everything will turn out PERFECTLY! In effect, I like to holler out, “I’m the leader!”
I envision the Lord chuckling at me as I try to be the leader and trying to tell me, “Hey, Leader! Yes, I’m talking to you. I promise you’re heading in the wrong direction, and if you will but follow me, you will find a much better path.” In Proverbs 3:5-6 we’re told, “Trust in the Lord with all thine heart; and lean not unto thine own understanding. In all thy ways acknowledge him, and he shall direct thy paths.” When I remember this, I try to shift course and accept His will. Sometimes that’s really, really difficult as I’m fairly certain that my plan is definitely the best. However, I find that as I put my will firmly into His hands, the course of my life begins to have more meaning and I gain understanding. When I do take His hand, He guides me safely through this slalom course of life, keeping me on the path that leads back to Him.
2 Responses
  1. Unknown Says:

    Love you, Nae!:) We are soooo much alike, its scary!


  2. Lynnae Says:

    Well, you know, the whole reason I do most of what I do is to scare people! :)

    I hope you had a great Thanksgiving! Love ya!