I've Got a Sinking Feeling About the Titanic (Redemption)

(Picture courtesy of http://en.wikipedia.org)



Ever since I was a young girl and watched "The Unsinkable Molly Brown" at my Grandma's house, I've had a fascination with the Titanic.   When the James Cameron movie came out in 1997, I watched the movie 3 times in theaters.  (I was in college and poor at the time, so that was a LOT).   I've also seen the movie on TV numerous times since.   Last night, my husband, Marvelous Matthew, and I caught the last half of the movie.  I have to admit, after watching the movie for 13 years, it's starting to get a bit predictable.  The ship sinks at the end.  Shocking, I know.  Anyway...we watched the movie and went straight to bed.  I had a dream last night about the Titanic.  You need to understand, I frequently have crazy, vivid dreams.  (Marvelous Matthew has gotten in trouble many times because of something I dreamed he did.  He told me just the other day that he gets in more trouble from my dreams than he does in real life!)

In my dream last night, my mom invited my children and I to a vacation on the Titanic.  We were all excited to go!  We got on the boat, looked around at all its glories and were having an immensely fun time.  Then, the boat hit the iceberg and panic ensued.  I was frantic to get off the ship.  I figured out a way off, but suddenly realized that my mom and son were not with us.  Running crazy, I found them at the end of a corridor.  I told them I found a way off and that we could all be safe if they just hurried.  My mom told me, "Lynnae, take your kids and get off.  I need to stay to help as many people as I can to safety."  I plead, cried, and screamed at her to come with me.  She was very calm, and told me again she had to stay so others could be safe, but I had to make sure my children were safe.  It was heart wrenching.  I had to leave my mom to save my children.  The kids and I safely left the boat.  My mom helped many live, but did not survive the sinking herself.  Just after watching the boat sink, I woke up with hot tears streaming fast and furious down my face.  The realization quickly settled on me that it was only a dream, but that my mother's death 2 months ago was very, painfully real.

As the tears began to cool and slow, the first thing I did was inform Marvelous Matthew that we were never, EVER watching that movie right before bed again!  Then, I reflected more on the dream.  I came to realize that there was more significance to it if I looked a bit deeper.  This old world we live on could actually have been just like the Titanic without the Savior.  It could have sunk and been worthless.  Although a few people survived the shipwreck, no one would have survived eternally without Christ.  He, like my mom in my dream, said, "I need to help as many as I can to safety!"  Because of His sacrifice, the world and our lives have meaning.  He gave each of us the ability to live eternally.  In John 3:16 we are told, "For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." 

With the Christmas season upon us, I hope we all remember the true reason we celebrate the birth of Christ.  It's not for the presents. Santa isn't real, but our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ is.   The true celebration is that we can have everlasting life because of a Savior who loves us.  Merry Christmas!!
0 Responses